Out & about
Beyond the historic town of Deal with its three miles of seafront promenade, pier, paddling pool, band stand and castles are many attractions including the medieval town of Sandwich. Nearby is the beautiful and historic town of Canterbury. Enjoy days out at the zoo or RSPB reserve and of course the wonderful Kent countryside. A day trip to France is only a 45 minute crossing away. Bring back fabulous cheese and wine to enjoy in the evening, and catch mackerel from Deal pier for the BBQ on the decking, overlooking the sea.
In 2014 The Times named Deal as one of the top 30 recommended weekend retreats. The Cinque Ports town was shortlisted for its two English Heritage castles, Kent’s first Conservation Area (Middle Street) and fine shops and restaurants and The Telegraph named Deal as High Street of the Year 2014 from a field of 500 entries.
Eating and Shopping
There are numerous eateries worth a visit to suit everyone and differing budgets, from superb traditional Fish ‘n’ Chips complete to more upmarket gastro pubs and restaurants. If you don’t feel like cooking there are some excellent takeaways too.
Likewise there are plenty of options for shopping. Canterbury has a huge range of stylish shops from high street to designer. Westwood Cross near Margate, with its large cinema complex, has a large out of town retail complex and free parking. Deal itself has plenty of boutique style individual shops selling everything from cheeses to bric a brac, a farmers market on Wednesdays and a larger Saturday market.
What to do around Kent
Visiting Deal? Here are our suggestions to make your stay all the more enjoyable.
- Fishing from Deal pier or boat hire
- Walking; cliff walking, promenading, circular routes. Find out more here.
- Bird watching at Sandwich RSPB or Dungeness RSPB
- Golfing at Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club (0.5 miles), Princes Golf Club (10 miles), Royal St George’s (8 miles) Kingsdown & Walmer Golf Club (5 miles) and others
- Seal watching, boat trips, rib tours and sailing from Dover and
- Daytrip to France; with easy access to shopping in CitiEurope, Nausicca sea life centre Boulogne or the fashionable Le Touquet
- Zoos at Howletts, Port Lympe, Wingham Wildlife Park, Wildwood
- Castles at Deal, Walmer and Dover
- Canterbury Cathedral
- Leeds Castle, Maidstone
- Deal Regatta week last week of July including fun fair, carnival, fireworks, coastguard display
- Music on Deal bandstand on Sundays through the summer
- Deal paddling pool
- Turner Gallery Margate
- Cycling along seafront at Deal, Reculver to Minnis, the Crab and Winkle Way Canterbury or Fowlmead cycling track (with bike hire)